Maple Coconut Peanut Butter

by Sarah on October 3, 2011 · 22 comments

I don’t know if y’all have noticed, but my beloved food processor has been sadly neglected as of late.In fact, if you zoomed out from this photo, you’d see that he had actually been moved off of the table where I was using him nearly every day, to a side shelf where he was getting little to no action.*
*Like his owner, this food processor has no game when it comes to the opposite sex.^
^Thoughts on what the “opposite sex” is for a food processor?But never fear, today you get to witness the joys of food processing yet again…and this recipe just might change your (nut butter lovin’) life.One of the easy things–we’ll get to the difficulties later–about my efforts to be vegan this month is that a lot of my staple foods and recipes already fit the “vegan profile,” including the nut butters that fill up my pantry shelves.*
*Except the honey peanut butter of course. And the Nutella.If you saw the care package that I mailed to Kayla last month as part of the Blogger Pen Pal Exchange, then you’ve already had a peak at the joyfulness that is about to astound your tastebuds. If you can get past the (conveniently also vegan) Spiced Orange Cranberry Almond Coc-Os, you’ll discover something (even more) incredible.Why yes…that DOES say Maple Coconut Peanut Butter.I don’t know where this combination obsession came from, but I think it has something to do with me mixing a whole bunch of random items in my morning cereal bowls, and discovering that peanut and/or coconut butter paired with maple-or-peanut flavored yogurt and/or cereal seemed to taste rather delicious. And thus…a star was born!*
*This one does not star Judy Garland.
First, I whipped up a batch of homemade coconut butter…the poor (wo)man’s version of Artisana. [Cheaper IS better!]
Once it’s good and drippable, clean out the bowl.
[Make sure you store at least 1/3-1/2 cup in a jar or separate container. The rest can go straight into your mouth.]
No need to clean the food processor. It’s kind of the way people who love to mix all their food together defend their practices to those who have to eat everything separately: it all ends up in the same place in the end.
Pour in about three cups of roasted, unsalted peanuts, and turn on your processor!
Marvel at the strange shapes it takes during the 15 (or so) minutes of processing that will have to occur (while you maintain extreme patience!)…
….in order to obtain the creamiest peanut butter you’ve ever seen. [No added oil required.]

Can we just pause and savor that one more time?
It’s probably a good idea to taste this once (or twice). You wouldn’t want to feed anyone anything contaminated.Once you are assured of it’s safety, scoop in 1/3 cup of coconut butter.Process, and then take out the curer of all evil (or at least boring flavor profiles)…maple extract.Add about a teaspoon of that, and continue to process and blend.Taste and test and add more maple, coconut butter, or salt to your liking. Then, try to get as much out of the food processor and into an awaiting jar as possible.But again, if there are (quite) a few detours by your mouth on the way, I won’t judge (or blame) you.

Maple Coconut Peanut Butter

3 cups roasted, unsalted peanuts
1/3-1/2 cup Homemade Coconut Butter
1-2 tsp. maple extract
pinch of salt (optional)

1. Put peanuts into food processor bowl. Maintain extreme patience and process until smooth. [This could take 15 minutes, with pauses for scraping the edges.]
2. Add coconut butter, maple extract, and salt (if using) and process, adding more to taste if necessary.
Note: If you do not have coconut butter already made in your pantry, make that first, then remove the coconut butter from the food processor. Continue with the recipe, adding the coconut butter back into the mix after making the peanut butter. :)

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookEmail this to someonePin on Pinterest

Fanny October 3, 2011 at 6:31 am

Insane! Insane! In the best way possible of course.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free October 3, 2011 at 7:03 am

ok. I've always been hesitant with the whole pb+coconut combo. Don't know why but I have never tried it before. You made it look too yummy. Shame on you.

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum October 3, 2011 at 7:20 am

That looks SO delicious. My oatmeal is crying out for a spoonful of that wonderful peanutty goodness! yum!

owlmazing.com October 3, 2011 at 7:47 am

This looks incredible! I love the combo of maple coconut and peanut…wow i bet it tastes so good! And sooo creamy :)

Michelle {the lively kitchen} October 3, 2011 at 8:11 am

Um, wow. And, um, yum! Think I need to pick up some peanuts at the HEB this week…..

Rachel October 3, 2011 at 9:17 am

PB + coconut…. it's Chick-O-Sticks, in a spread!

Tricia @ saving room for dessert October 3, 2011 at 10:18 am

Mmmmmmmm! This is now stuck in my head. Looks like another super Sarah creation!

Shannon October 3, 2011 at 10:31 am

I must be doing something wrong whenever I try to make homemade coconut butter, because no matter how long I leave the food processor to do it's thing it NEVER gets drippable, just… crumbable? Grittable? Even when my house was 1000 degrees.

Cotter Crunch October 3, 2011 at 10:37 am

looks like you are going to make a lot of vegans happy this month with those recipes! I'm not vegan but I am SOOOO in!

phoenix October 3, 2011 at 10:43 am

OMG! I almost died reading this. As soon as I'm better (taking a little break off MoFo because of the flu) I'll borrow my BF's food processor, and holy coconut Batman, I can't wait!

celeryandcupcakes.com October 3, 2011 at 11:28 am

I just discovered that I can make my own nut butters in my little processor. I'm having so uch fun experimenting with it now.

iheartvegetables October 3, 2011 at 11:59 am

The food processor (or rather, the vitamix in my case) is like the most fun toy ever. I'm such a dork for loving a kitchen appliance so much but seriously, the possibilities are SO endless. And there is something so satisfying about blending things. I Swear. It's like therapy.

I love seeing your food processor creations!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I <3 Maple

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 3, 2011 at 2:05 pm

One more reason I need a food processor in my life!

Emma @ Getting There & Going Places October 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Awesome.. That simply has GOT to be awesome.. 😐
I love coconut and I couldn't love maple more! Too bad it's so hard to come by here in Holland! When I do find it, it is craaaazy expensive.. Luckily I brought home some maple extract from the States! So you can bet that I will be giving this a try soon! 😀

Emma @ Getting There & Going Places October 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Awesome.. That simply has GOT to be awesome.. 😐

Emma @ Getting There & Going Places October 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Awesome.. That simply has GOT to be awesome.. 😐

Emma @ Getting There & Going Places October 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Awesome.. That simply has GOT to be awesome.. 😐

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean October 3, 2011 at 4:08 pm

love your homemade labels :) you know how I feel about coconut (negatively) but it LOOKS delicious!

broccoliniandcheese.com October 3, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Holy yum! That sounds amazing. I've never even thought to make my own peanut butter, but then again I don't have a food processor. Step 1 get a processor. Step 2 make the PB!!

B.A.D. October 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm

OMG. This is AMAZING!! I need to get my food processor working.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan November 1, 2011 at 1:08 pm

This looks killer! PB + CB is a dreamy combo.