Who Have I Become?

by Sarah on August 23, 2011 · 23 comments

I’ve been wearing my running shoes…and actually RUNNING.OK, not in that picture. In that picture I’m sitting awkwardly on our front porch [slash] fire escape with my legs in the air, taking a photo of my shoes. But I have been RUNNING y’all! WTH?

On Sunday I hopped on for a 5 minute warm-up, and I ran 3.06 miles (!) before my knee got angry and said, “What are you doing woman? Who are you?“* I didn’t even have a TV to watch or anything! I’ll give credit to Mat Kearney and his new album.

*OK, this happened and 2.85 miles, but I pushed through.

[Source]

I realize for the marathon runners out there, this seems like nothing. But for me, it was crazy talk. As I was too sweaty afterwards to lift weights, I instead rewarded myself with a leisurely stroll on the elliptical during a Man v. Food marathon. [Thankfully, the love I have for Adam Richman will most likely never change.]

—————-
After almost a year of not eating oatmeal…I had oats for breakfast.

[It was so creepily staring at me from the cabinet...]

And not just any old oats…the most awkward type of oat there is: COLD oats.Mixed up the night before…meaning I was consciously returning to an oatmeal way of life.They weren’t as ugly as I remembered them being (nor were they really a thing of beauty)…and thankfully I recalled that frozen raspberries really made them taste amazing in the summer heat.Topped with an apple and some GoLean Crunch!* I hate to admit it, but…they were actually quite delicious.

*Kashi has trademarked exclamation points. Just in case you were wondering.But contrary to popular belief…they did NOT fill me up better than my yogurt-nut butter combos. Still, when I found these in my pantry……I thought, “Awesome! I’m stocked up for the winter!” WHO AM I????

—————
On Sunday, I decided to cut back on coffee.
On Monday, I realized that was just silly.

[I haven't changed THAT much!]

——————-
Between the Figgy (Bread) Pudding* I made for breakfast last Thursday…

*That I consciously made VEGAN. WTH? Really? Who am I? [Recipe to come.]

…and the Green Chile Chicken Pan-salada I made after that…

…I haven’t turned on the food processor in over a week! [My Reese's Bean-Nut Butter was made two weekends ago, I was just lazy about posting.]My food processor is wondering what is wrong with me.

————–
And finally, in the most shocking display of “When did I become THAT person?” behavior, I took the birthday money from inside this card……and used it to by what is inside this box.Yes. That says “Juice Fountain.”It showed up on my doorstep a week ago.* And I am too scared of what might happen to me if I start juicing to open it. I never wanted to be “a juicer.” I never wanted to drink Green Monsters and mix protein powder into things. But suddenly…I kind of DO….
*And yes, I brought it inside and then took it back OUT to take a picture in daylight. Another “Who have I become?” moment if I do say so myself.I ask you this, people who know me well (or as well as you can know someone who chronicles her life like an open book): WHO HAVE I BECOME????

And how is my food processor gonna take this?

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean August 23, 2011 at 7:08 am

love that you're running!!! hope you and your food processor don't get in a fight about this juicer…

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert August 23, 2011 at 7:21 am

Wish I could run – too old for that business! I do power walk at 5 AM with a neighbor – dark and early. I just walk so I can eat more pie :)

A juicer? I just don't know what's going on with you these days! Listen to your body, if it says juice, give it juice!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) August 23, 2011 at 7:25 am

Running and cold oats?
You finally sold out, huh? ;)
I thought I clicked on the wrong blog at first… kidding! Good for you!!

atastelife August 23, 2011 at 7:35 am

you go girl.
and go without coffee? never.
i switch up breakfast with oats here and there. i prefer them hot – in the winter. one of the only gems during the cold winter months.

oh and last night, we watched a DVRed "Best Thing I Ever Ate…Street Food" episode and there was a street car from Austin. And we thought of you. And I immediately wanted to get in a car (or plane) and come see you.

teabagginit August 23, 2011 at 7:44 am

Dude, if you start saying, "nom" and using terms like VOO, oiaj, & bloobs/strawbs I will seriously unsubscribe! Okay, not really 'cause you'll probably still make me laugh, but I'll judge you from afar! :)

Kelly August 23, 2011 at 7:45 am

I have tried to give up coffee with no such luck. I have managed to switch entirely to decaf but I can't give up the taste. I love coffee!

Katie August 23, 2011 at 9:02 am

All you need is some dates and chocolate chips to make those weird "cookie dough bites"

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 23, 2011 at 9:20 am

I fully believe that there is room for both a juicer and a food processor in The Smart Kitchen. I'm kind of glad you are enjoying cold oats again because I need some new recipes for it (not so subtle hint) besides the regular banana cinnamon combo.

Missy August 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

Just keep eating bacon and it's all good.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 23, 2011 at 10:15 am

Yay! Bring those shoes to Food Buzz. :)

I've been waiting for the juicer to emerge…

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde August 23, 2011 at 10:28 am

A juicer, thats just too much!!!!
Lol, yay for all the changes though i still can't really get into the over night oats, just… feels… wrong… :o )

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers August 23, 2011 at 11:34 am

OMG – someone hacked your blog! :) Great job on the run.

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition August 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I need to start running again! And you know your a blogger when you start taking pics that are awkward or you start rearranging/placing things for blog pics! haha I do it too!

foodfamilyfitness.com August 23, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I'm pretty positive I would pass out if i ran 3. anything miles, so you are a rockstar in my book! Cute shoes too :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 23, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I just began eating oats again, too after a long hiatus! Crazy. And as for running, I know the feeling. Went through the same exact thing when first getting into it…now I'm hooked!

princesslila August 23, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I haven't been a reader for too long, so it's all good to me!! But, whatever you write about is sure to be hilarious, entertaining, and educational. ;)

Oohh and do break out the juicer – I want to see what you'll make!

broccoliniandcheese.com August 23, 2011 at 2:55 pm

3 Miles is awesome to me! So you rock in my book! Let me know how that juicer is! I kind of want one too…

blissfulbritt August 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm

AWESOME run!! The best ones are the ones that are unexpected. I love every single thing you said throughout this post. It makes me love you even more than I already do.

Susan August 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm

You've become one of my favorite blogs, that's who!

Cheesy is my middle name.

Maris (In Good Taste) August 23, 2011 at 8:40 pm

That's so awesome that you are running! Nice sneaker by the way!

michelle {the lively kitchen} August 24, 2011 at 9:48 am

Don't start saying 'nom nom' please. Please. Or posting a new oatmeal recipe every.single.day.

I do love my juicer. Not cleaning it up, but the juice it makes. It's a good way to use up veggie scraps, so I view it as somewhat green too. :) Seriously, try green juice when you need a pick me up. Maybe it's mental, but it works for me. I like to add ginger or lemon to most of my juices. I think it helps mesh the flavors a bit.

Courtney August 25, 2011 at 11:39 am

yippee for running, i started doing it a little while back and am hooked!!

i have a juicer that I have used a couple of times but less often than not. I hope to hear more about your journeys with it!

spinachandskittles.com August 25, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Wow, look at you running. And on a treadmill no less. I loathe the treadmill, and without a tv it would be total torture. I'm very impressed, my dear.
I'm also happy you've brought oatmeal back into your life. It was gone far too long, in my opinion.