Yogurt Chai-umph!

by Sarah on July 28, 2011 · 22 comments

So, although my reinvented Carrot Cake Yogurt was pretty darn good…there was another Kroger CarbMaster flavor that I needed to, well, master.
Tucked into the not-very-well-insulated* lunch bag that I used to transport the specially sought after yogurts were a few other intriguing flavors, most notably Vanilla Chai.
*I figured since there was already bacteria in the yogurt, it would survive a five hour drive. But then again, I am the girl who ignores expiration dates.I had been SO excited to try this (or should I say, “chai” this?) flavor, considering I pretty much want to make everything into a chai-flavored variation that I possibly can: sponge cake, nut butter, granola…you name it, I’ll chai it.*
*No, this will not get old.
Sadly, although it did taste quite nice when topped with puffed wheat and Cracklin’ Oat Bran (which I still maintain just needs to be labeled “crack”), the chai spices were lacking. It was more vanilla than chai…and that was just not going to work for me.So out came the Smart Kitchen Chai Spice Collection….and vanilla. You can’t make Vanilla Chai Yogurtwithout vanilla, now can you?*

*No, but you can chai.Unlike many (or perhaps most) of my creations, this one does not require a food processor. Simply take a 32 oz. tub of plain yogurt—although I guess you could start with one already sweetened with vanilla—–and dump it into a mixing bowl.Add the requisite number of spices (remembering that cardamom and cloves have a nasty tendency of taking over any production which they are a part of)……along with a heavy dose of vanilla (but only if you’re using plain yogurt).
And then stir!Or whisk, as the case may be. If you’re anything like me, you’ll taste it, and then go ahead and double the amount of spices.
The measurements I include below are the ones I ended up with…if you are hesitating on how “spiced” you want your yogurt, start with half…and keep in mind that as it has a chance to chill, the flavors will get slightly stronger.
Once again you already have a storage container at the ready.

(But chai not to spill it everywhere like I did.)

Vanilla Chai Yogurt
(Makes 4 cups)

4 cups [one 32 oz. container] plain yogurt*
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
*If substituting vanilla yogurt, do not add vanilla extract. This might seem obvious…but, well, one never knows…

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk well until spices and extract are fully incorporated into yogurt. Store in the fridge for as long as the yogurt is still good…usually about 10 days after the “sell-by” date printed on the tub.

Tastes great with a multitude of cereals and fruits. :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean July 28, 2011 at 6:27 am

i think i need to jump on board the chai flavor train, eh? i feel like i'm missing out

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert July 28, 2011 at 6:51 am

I haven't tried any chai flavored foods, just tea. But I do put cinnamon and nutmeg in my plain Greek yogurt almost every day! Have a happy Thursday.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 28, 2011 at 6:54 am

You assume I'm going to give this a chance to chill! Can't wait to make it for breakfast on about 5 mins! :)

atastelife July 28, 2011 at 8:09 am

"Chai not to spill it…" bahahahaha

Liz July 28, 2011 at 8:41 am

ok weird – i'm having trouble posting.

mmm you know i love chai!!! Also – not that you ever need suggestions, but Kraft tells me July 30th is cheesecake day!….

forgottenbeast July 28, 2011 at 8:44 am

I was lazily scrolling through this post and then saw CRACKLIN OAT BRAN. I can spot that amazing, amazing stuff from a mile away–and I agree on the renaming. If I buy a box, it's gone in less than two days. And at the ridic price of Cracklin' Oat Bran, hmm, might just be comparable to real crack…

Lisa @ Healthful Sense July 28, 2011 at 9:06 am

Looks delicious!!
Love all of the spices and vanilla extract mixed into the yogurt.
Let me know if you make the chia seed jam!!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 28, 2011 at 9:42 am

Ooh, this reminds me of Christmas. And I'm a fan of anything Christmas.

p.s. I survived the flight from hell. I won't be flying United anytime soon again though…

Meri July 28, 2011 at 11:11 am

wait- what IS cracklin oat bran? I eat regular oat bran, but if you know of some that "crackles," well, i should know about it…

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 28, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I told Michael and my parents about your carrot cake yogurt as soon as I walked through the door I was so excited…and now you come up with this!! Any more flavors you plan on trying? Cause seriously, this is awesome.

teabagginit July 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm

i LOVE chai flavors! i bet that yogurt tasted awesome! i mix up those spices & put them in an empty salt shaker. that way i can add a dash to … pretty much everything.

brocstar July 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Yum. That's all I can say about that.

Megan July 28, 2011 at 4:12 pm

What a great idea! I usually put peanut flour, cocoa, cinnamon, and stevia in my yogurt (with cereal). Maybe I should start premixing it!

divinelykatherine July 28, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Trying this tomorrow.

Maris (In Good Taste) July 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I do like yogurt and love chai tea so I just may give this a try! Looks delicious!

sophia July 28, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Wow. You really like them spice!! I tried that vanilla chai yogurt, and I thought it was a bit more spice than I liked. My favorite I think is the tropical flavor.

celery and cupcakes July 29, 2011 at 4:30 am

What an awesome idea to reinvent yoghurt. I must try this some time with soy yoghurt…yum! :)

Leila @ spinach and skittles August 2, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I'm chaiing not to laugh at your puns.
When I make flavored yogurts out of plain I always throw in a tsp of powdered sugar. Blends perfectly w/o being overly sweet. But, I'm not a big tangy yogurt fan.

Molly January 10, 2013 at 9:03 am

I am so lazy, I made this with chia latte powder lol.
And as this was an unexpected midnight snakc, I didnt have any plain yogurt tried it with raspberry lol :)

Sarah January 10, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I once made Chai Nutty Butter with cranberries mixed in, and it was delicious, so I can only IMAGINE how yummy raspberry chai might be. I’m quite proud of your improvisation actually!