Rub a Dub Dub (What I Ate In The Tub)

by Sarah on July 20, 2011 · 24 comments

The theme of my contribution to Jenn‘s What I Ate Wednesday party this week is Rub a Dub Dub (What I Ate In The Tub). But before you get all wary—or excited, as the case may be–I should probably tell you I’m not talking about THAT kind of tub. [Eating IN the tub always makes me think of the pink ring in the tub that The Cat In The Hat leaves behind.]
No no, I’m referring to the tub (or carton or plastic container) in which common–most often dairy–foodstuffs are packaged and sold.
You see, over the past few years–but this week especially–I have made an important realization:

I am bit of a bottom feeder.

Unlike the bottom feeders of the sea, I do not live in the shadowy depths, slurping up the dregs of the food chain. Instead, I am a bottom feeder on land, proclaiming the joys of the crumblies found at the bottom of the cereal box, indulging in the salty flavor explosion you find in the chiplets at the bottom of the pita [slash] tortilla [slash] rice chip bag, and, as is the case this week…relishing the moment I realize I’ve reached ‘the end of the tub’ and will be able to make my meal inside of it, scraping the bottom to get up every last morsel, and then casually tossing it into the recycling bin before heading off to the store for my favorite activity: restocking the fridge.When I was in Wisconsin, my grandmother did not know about the sudden change in my eating lifestyle. She didn’t know who (or what?) I had become. She didn’t understand why I needed to take a picture of the sad loss of blue corn chiplets to the garbage disposal I had to stumble upon one afternoon.
Sister Smart knows about my secret, and she saved the Cheerio crumblies just for me.I ate them, naturally, in a tub of the Greek yogurt I had bought for Grammie to taste after she had asked me numerous questions about what exactly made “this Greek yogurt stuff” so great.I’m pretty sure she thought I was crazy when I mixed up breakfast and proceeded to eat it out of the tub.But she just doesn’t know the joy of all the hardened yogurt bits and the satisfaction of feeling like you’re giving that yogurt tub a last hurrah (!) rather than lazily scooping out most of the rest of the yogurt and tossing the tub haphazardly aside.When you eat in the tub, there is no “I got most of it.” No, you get it ALL. Every last little bite.So yes, I have somehow come upon a week where I was reaching the ends of everything. [Or the ends of other people's food, as was the case with the Total 0% Fage my subletting roommate left behind. I doubted she was coming back for such a small amount of yogurt--though I obviously would have. But mine would have been 2%. :) ]
It happened with the Voskos, too. Just enough left to make an yogurt mess that seemed quite intense in such a little tub.I tried to use the spoon of the Soup Stix, but it was too big. [There was toppling over. But no berries were lost.]I have found, however, that the chopsticks are surprisingly good for using with thicky-sticky* Greek yogurt.
*Yes, I meant to say that.
Everything gets all stuck together and texturally tantalizing for my bizarre, childlike food sensibility.
If you think I only do this sort of thing with yogurt, well, you are sorely mistaken. Cottage cheese tubs are JUST as much fun.Loaded up with chopped veggies and a heavy-handed sprinkle of Penzey’s Northwoods Seasoning…….oh, y’all, we are in business.Only thing missing? A little crunch!Enter Trader Joe’s Baked Lentil Chips with Sea Salt & Black Pepper, which I had bought at Christmas (!) and just brought back after my last trip home to Pennsylvania.I thought they would have (joyously) been crushed during the flight, leaving me with an entire bag of delicious chiplets. But I discovered when I finally opened them last weekend that, sadly, they had survived in tact.What do you do in the absence of a chiplet? Make your own of course!To be honest, TJ sort of failed me with these chips. He did a good job of meeting my black pepper requirements, but overall, I wasn’t too impressed. They were good for dipping in hummus, however.Just yesterday, I packed the remains of my Cedar’s Roasted Red Pepper Hommus/Hummus with some sliced squash and those chips…and was able to eat out of yet another tub. [Did I use my spoon to scrape out every last bit of hummus? Heck yes I did!]
Yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus…all perfectly delicious tubs in which to eat. How about ricotta cheese?I happened to have just a wee bit left after making my Cherry Berry Ricotta Cheesecakes, so I
mixed in some of my homemade Cherry Chipotle Pecan Pesto [recipe to come, I promise!]…
…and added some diced up turkey pepperoni and fresh basil. It was like noodle-less pepperoni pesto lasagna. Yum! [And now, perhaps, to make a version with noodles?]
You know, one of the best tubs from which to eat is that which contains ICE CREAM!The drizzle on the side is a sure sign someone has NOT been using a bowl.You will note that there is no more peanut butter ice cream left. That’s because it was by far the best part of this flavor. Sadly, I didn’t actually get to eat much of it myself because when I opened up the tub of ice cream, I discovered that my roommate had eaten 75% of it! [Oh the tragedy...] Since I figured she had taken some of my chocolate-peanut butter “fix,” I could take some of hers.
Yesterday morning I faced my most enticing bottom-feeding tub yet: the last of my homemade Carrot Cake Yogurt.*
*I know you can’t wait for THAT recipe. Especially you, Mary.
As you know, I have a strange affinity towards the pairing of peanut butter and carrot cake, so it only seemed right to try peanut butter and chocolate and carrot cake.There might also have been some Cinnamon Toast Crunch involved.

Hey, they came in a tub.

I added some Kix and puffed rice to, you know, “make it healthier.”

And strawberries, peaches, and blueberries, too.Let’s face it: if you’re going to be a bottom feeder, you might as well just go full-on freak eater as well.

Rub a dub dub, what’d YOU eat in a tub?

Jennifer July 20, 2011 at 12:09 am

bahahaha love it! Thanks for the belly laugh! =)

I sent my husband to work with feta salad mixed into the feta tub and he cocked his head to the side and said "oh well thats just smart!" =)

Happy WIAW!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 20, 2011 at 12:25 am

You are my favorite. For real.

The dregs are the best, I love eating out of cartons… I actually take my (half gone) pre-washed salad containers to work for lunch and eat my salad creations right outta there. And who can not love oats in a jar – they make me creepily excited to finish a jar of PB.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 20, 2011 at 12:52 am

"Let's face it: if you're going to be a bottom feeder, you might as well just go full-on freak eater as well." <-Hahaha! Love it!

I am notorious for tub grubbing! You really know you're doing it right when you eat it with a rubber spatula…no trace (of evidence) left behind! And I don't just stop at tubs! The food processor isn't safe either! ;)

cinnamonalicious July 20, 2011 at 1:50 am

Hahaha!! I'm SO like that too!! I love eating from the tub, that way you don't miss anything! :D
Last night I finished off a container of cottage cheese by mixing it up with melon and jam in the tub..perfection!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 20, 2011 at 4:43 am

haha "bottom feeder" love it
I liked your lil tubs. They look cute and yummy at the same time. I mean, how could it not be yummy when it involves Cinnamon Toast Crunch (a top favorite of mine) or Edy's ice cream (slow churned is the best)

Lee Owen July 20, 2011 at 5:49 am

Thanks for making me smile this early! :) Missing you! Lee

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean July 20, 2011 at 6:44 am

i'm intrigued by your pesto recipe!!! can't wait for it. i just made pesto with almonds for the first time yesterday and it turned out great!

Errign July 20, 2011 at 7:41 am

Love. this. post. And yes, ice cream out of the tub is the best!

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde July 20, 2011 at 7:45 am

Omg you make me laugh so hard and now i feel really bad about throwing my tubs away! If i can redeem myself by saying i use a spatula to get our every last drop but i fear that its offset by the fact i hate cereal crumblies :o )
You always put a fun spin on WIAW and i seriously thought where is this post going with the tub comment :o )

atastelife July 20, 2011 at 7:51 am

I love eating out of a tub. :) I get strange looks but I simply smile and continue diggin' in. I think my favorite "tubs" are almost-empty AB jars orrrr greek yogurt containers.

Anastasia July 20, 2011 at 9:19 am

Haha! I love this! I'm eating my lunch today out of a Fage Greek yogurt tub :]

No one in my family understands why I take pictures of what I eat. My coworkers are a little baffled by it too.

I cannot wait for the carrot cake yogurt recipe!

Lindsay and James Cotter July 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

i ove tubs for this reason and the chipsticks….genuis!
I ate chicken and veggies out of a leftover hummus tub. oh ya!

Lindsay and James Cotter July 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

i ove tubs for this reason and the chipsticks….genuis!
I ate chicken and veggies out of a leftover hummus tub. oh ya!

Lindsay and James Cotter July 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

i ove tubs for this reason and the chipsticks….genuis!
I ate chicken and veggies out of a leftover hummus tub. oh ya!

Lindsay and James Cotter July 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

i ove tubs for this reason and the chipsticks….genuis!
I ate chicken and veggies out of a leftover hummus tub. oh ya!

mexigarian July 20, 2011 at 11:31 am

This made me laugh so hard. :D I eat a lot out of the tub. the last bits of my yogurt with berries, chocolate chips and other goodies like cereal perhaps mixed in. I eat oats out of nut butter jars and I mix nut butters into my jam jars. I look forward to the bottom feeding of my hummus tub :)

blissfulbritt July 20, 2011 at 11:52 am

YES! There is something SO oddly satisfying about using every.last.bit of something in a tub. I get a bizarre rush of excitement when I finish any kind of food because wasting is just not an option.

Ice cream is always eaten straight from the tub, even when brand new. I find that using a bowl is a waste of time and a dish. I am drooling over the tub of goodness you have concocted throughout this post. You have turned something simple into something amazing. Like a firework in a tub!

kristi (sweet cheeks) July 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm

eating out of a tub is my favorite way ever!! Something about it is so satisfying…maybe it's cause I don't have to dirty and clean a dish!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free July 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Don't you know? All the cool kids are eating out of tubs!

Cara @ Chic Meets Healthy July 20, 2011 at 1:55 pm

bahahaha holy tub a thon! love it! i dont think there is anything better than some greek yogurt, berries and honey in the morning. my favorite!

teabagginit July 20, 2011 at 9:02 pm

alright, it's official. cottage cheese is now officially queso cottage in my life. i will also be calling cellulite, "queso cottage thighs"

Sarah Snacks July 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I love crumblies!!!

iheartvegetables July 20, 2011 at 10:37 pm

hahahah this is the best WIAW post ever! I'm slightly sad that these weren't bathtub meals, but I suppose this makes more sense ;)

I love eating out of tubs just so I don't have to wash out a bowl ;) hehe

sweetpotatosarah.com July 21, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Haha i love this! I'm going to start eating everything out of the tub.
(and maybe in the tub too….it is pretty fun to eat ice cream in the bath once in a while!)