It’s Not A Successful Trip…

by Sarah on July 7, 2011 · 15 comments

…until Sarah has cried in the airport.
No, Delta, I didn’t need help. What I needed was to not be sitting in the Atlanta airport for 4 hours, having flown east (halfway across the country) just to go back west. I don’t care how fun it was to be sitting across from the Southern Living newsstand. On any other day, this would have made me happy indeed, but yesterday not even that is going to save you. Yes, Delta, I really appreciate your attempts to make up a canceled-and-then-rescheduled-but-too-late-we’re-still-sending-you-to-Atlanta-from-Milwaukee-and-then-you’ll-be-delayed-again-so-you-might-get-home-before-midnight-but-it’s-looking-questionable (and-is-still-five-hours-later-than-planned) flight situation by giving me a meal voucher.

For $6.00.

Guess what? Even the Delta representative who GAVE me the voucher said, “It won’t buy you much.” I’ll tell you what it did buy me.
Half vanilla, half tart. Strawberries, pineapple….and Oreos (?)

It seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
Sister Smart’s pre-debacle gifts of a Kashi GoLeanCRUNCH bar and a People magazine did little to appease my nerves. I was able to distract myself with Waiting for Superman*
*Seriously, watch it if you want to get a good idea of what we are facing with our screwed up educational system in America……and The Undomestic Goddess. [Clearly, this was no time for lofty literature.]And, hey, Delta, that was me who spilled Cheerios all over the floor and didn’t clean them up. Yeah…take THAT!Thank God for Diet Coke (I did request the whole can…take the free stuff where you can get it people) and Biscoff (which I managed to save).And I’m pretty sure my stomach (and wallet) was saved by the fact that I pack so many travel snacks.If breaking down in the middle of the terminal with tears streaming down your face, your bags scattered haphazardly around you, and a look of sheer unhappiness don’t mark you as bizarre…
…taking a number of photos of your food both before and during the flight sure will.The snacks saved my stomach, and Teddy saved my sanity. True friendship is the packet of warm, freshly baked chocolate chip cookies waiting for you in the passenger seat when you FINALLY make it home. [You can't see them...because I ate them immediately.]
To invoke the spirit of famous resident of the city in which I spent so many hours yesterday, one Scarlet O’Hara: as God is my witness…I’ll never fly Delta again!

PS. Did I mention my best friend from high school arrives in about three hours to visit? Yeah, I’m clearly going to have the house ready for her now.

Christina July 7, 2011 at 8:48 am

shoot, $6 is $6!!! i'd get the dessert with it too. i always request the whole can. who the heck drinks 1/2 a can?!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 7, 2011 at 9:00 am

awwww… i wish i'd known you were in my airport. i would have come down to entertain you for a few hours!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean July 7, 2011 at 9:31 am

oh no :( sorry about your bad luck! but can i just say oreos in froyo is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde July 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

$6, are you serious??? What a horribly day
You seriously inspire me, next time i travel i will be packing snacks galore!
Ps: i kind of love that boook :o )

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 7, 2011 at 10:49 am

Oh my… what an experience. Bless your heart! I'm impressed at your snacking (as usual), and I'm very not impressed at Delta's $6 voucher. Delta = Fail. At least the yogurt looked yummy.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm

*BIG HUG*

$6 for airport food? Geesh.

Waiting for Superman made me so sad. I cried. Sophia Kinsella; however, makes me laugh out loud. She's my ultimate guilty pleasure.

Glad you are safely back home.

iheartvegetables July 7, 2011 at 1:22 pm

ughhh this is exactly why I hate flying! My flights are ALWAYS Delayed!

Way to show them, by not picking up the cheerios ;) hahaha

Those biscoff cookies are good though!

Maris (In Good taste) July 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I feel for you. I really do. Glad you are home safe and sound

Sara July 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I hate Delta too. The jerks.

And a $6 "meal" voucher at the airport will not buy you a meal. How lame.

So sorry it was such a crappy flight!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free July 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Oh gosh, that sucks. I hate flight delays….or spending time at the airport for any long period of time! Glad you are safe, though! And full!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I've had issues with Delta, too. They were the ones that left me stranded in the terminal when I got to the gate 5 mins before take off and they wouldn't let me on the gate. And that plane WAS STILL THERE!!! Ugh. Sorry for your frustrations..but at least your home!

Rachel July 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Sorry things went so poorly for you. Traveling can be such a pain. Waiting for Superman was a great distraction though. I LOVED it.

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo July 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Eugh, I'm so sorry! I had a similar experience on American; I won't fly them either. I like Southwest because I've rarely had a bad experience on those flights.

But what a sweet treat for you when you got home. Have fun with your friend!

Camden July 7, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Good chatting with you on the flight. I was delayed a couple of hours but you win in terms of a complete crappy day.

By the way…cool blog. I showed my wife this evening and she is wanting to try the Watermelon Mojito recipe.

-Camden

atastelife July 8, 2011 at 8:14 am

Oh no!!! Thank goodness for snack packs, though.