Freaky Friday

by Sarah on July 29, 2011 · 19 comments

Last year, in what felt like the early days of this blog, I declared a Weird Food Movement, embracing the absurd creations and pairings that I find quite acceptable and delicious, but others might look upon as bizarre or strange.

So, for today…and perhaps every Friday (but most likely just whenever I feel like it), I shall embrace the freaky foodie tendencies that I have stumbled upon as incredible…maybe only in my mind, but possibly in yours as well.

After all, one of the greatest things about blogging is finding other freak eaters out there who think pickles and pineapple, grapes and hummus, or carrot cake and chocolate peanut butter are perfectly rational pairings. Or, as is the case this week….

Wickles sweet pickle relish

+ the life-changing Mrs. Renfro’s Pomegranate Salsa+ Oasis Naturals Black Bean with Chipotle Harissa Hummus
They are some of my most favorite condimentary-style foods in their own right.

But when you put them all together on top of salad……and mix it up into an “Am I really eating this?” mess of veggie-monster deliciousness….
…well, it might be ugly as heck*…

*Is heck ugly? What is heck anyway? I mean, aside from a stand-in for the evil land of fire and demons.

But to quote the Demon Barber of Fleet Street: “God, that’s good!” [And Lord help your tastebuds return from the brink of epiphany if you also add a little nutritional yeast.]
If weird is wrong, I don’t want to be right.*

*Technically, this phrase should be “If weird is left, I don’t want to be right,” or, alternatively, “If weird is wrong, I don’t want to be correct.” I’m just saying…

———————

So what about y’all? Which strange food habit or pairing do you want to embrace on this Freaky Friday? Join the Weird Food Movement. It’s wonderful being weird. :)

Lindsay and James Cotter July 29, 2011 at 5:48 am

its what I call "fugly" but also "freakin good!"

Lindsay and James Cotter July 29, 2011 at 5:48 am

its what I call "fugly" but also "freakin good!"

Lindsay and James Cotter July 29, 2011 at 5:48 am

its what I call "fugly" but also "freakin good!"

Lindsay and James Cotter July 29, 2011 at 5:48 am

its what I call "fugly" but also "freakin good!"

Maris (In Good Taste) July 29, 2011 at 6:37 am

I must be weird because that looks delicious to me! TGIF!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 29, 2011 at 7:05 am

You know I love weird food combos! Your salad dressing sounds scrumptious.

Anything sweet and savory is ok in my book. You have to try that blueberry cilantro bulgur I posted – with the spicy vinaigrette, the blueberries are even better. Really. :)

celery and cupcakes July 29, 2011 at 7:20 am

I love tahini and sweet chilli sauce together. It sounds gross but totally works! :)

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert July 29, 2011 at 7:26 am

Apparently I have some work to do. I can't think of anything weird per se, but I do remember eating those small cups of ice cream (with the wooden scoop) at school and smashing up potato chips and sliced pickles in the ice cream. No I'm not, and was not preggers but heck that was good :) Have a lovely weekend!!!

alivaux July 29, 2011 at 7:32 am

I used to put yellow mustard on the school cafeteria rectangular pizza when it wasn't "Dominos Pizza Day" at Unionville…speaking of Dominos Pizza Day (I keep wanting to write dominoes), I bet that doesn't really fly with all the school nutrition regulations these days, does it?

lovesweatandbeers July 29, 2011 at 8:14 am

Interesting. I could see how that would be good on a salad. Sweet, tangy, savory, whatever. Just good.

For today, I don't have any odd pairings yet, but I'll be road tripping after work. I'll probably bring an odd pairing of snacks for dinner.

Jenn July 29, 2011 at 8:35 am

ahhh you lucky Texan! We don't have the renfros POM here! The military commissary almost always has habanero and jalapeno though and I cannot liiiiive without my green renfros! =)

what a combo! i'm game!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean July 29, 2011 at 8:46 am

pomegranate salsa? holy yum!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) July 29, 2011 at 9:39 am

I loooooooove wickles! My oddest food combo that I love is cantaloupe and red wine vinegar. Delish!

atastelife July 29, 2011 at 10:06 am

Big Guy witnessed me backing a "hugh jass" salad yesterday at lunch time. He gave me the weirdest look. He's the one missing out. I'm talking chicken burger goodness from TJs, sprinkle of sunflower seeds, cheese stick cut up and dried cherries. Today I think it's going to be hummus and whatever else I find in that fridge of mine. And today, no one will judge me.

Meri July 29, 2011 at 11:22 am

Gosh I am surprised so often at how many things nooch is DELICIOUS with, that you wouldn't expect. Yum. Salsa too.

blissfulbritt July 29, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Oh my god…I need that pomegranate salsa and that hummus. I love freaky combinations!!

eatmybeets.com July 29, 2011 at 7:12 pm

The combination looks quite intriguing! I love mixing a bunch of random things in my salad. Lately I've been enjoying a raw + roasted vegetable, tempeh salad.

missymiller July 29, 2011 at 8:47 pm

There is help for weirdos like you…(and me)…and I hope you never find it.

Yum.

Christina July 30, 2011 at 1:31 pm

amazing. i love how we have similar palettes.