Nanner Nanner To-Fu

by Sarah on June 24, 2011 · 12 comments

I was so glad to see how much y’all enjoyed the Vegan Mango Lassi I showed you the other day. I just finished up the very last of it yesterday morning, and I can tell you that it only gets better with time, as the mango has time to sweeten up the tofu (but not too much).

The truth is, the idea came to me during one of my “if mixing A + B together tastes amazing, then B + C should also work, right?” periods of brainstorming.* And what kicked off the whole “if, then” trigonometric proof sequence was a little tub o’ yogurt called Vanana.
*I say “period” as though this isn’t my constant stage of thought. [It is.]In addition to evoking images of Vanna White–whom Sister Smart correctly declared “has the sweetest job in the world–Vanana Yogurt has always intrigued me, in the way that any product whose name is a word-bination^ does, and also because of it’s novelty, infrequent appearance in dairy cases, and the simple fact that I love vanilla yogurt and I love bananas, so shouldn’t banilla (much better name) yogurt be wonderful?
^I had to. I’m sorry.I’m also cheap. So, I did NOT waste money on purchasing my own tub, even after years (and I’m serious people…I fixate for YEARS on things like this) of curiosity. Instead, I noted that the ingredients were essentially yogurt, vanilla, and banana puree. So I mixed up some yogurt, banana, and vanilla in the food processor…and I made my own.And I ate it the way I eat all yogurt-or-yogurt-like products: with fruit and/or cereal on top.To MYOB (in this case, I mean Make Your Own Banilla, because the simple fact that you are reading this means you are NOT minding your own business–or beeswax, if you are Stephanie Tanner), follow this incredibly easy recipe:

——————
Banilla Yogurt
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2-1 whole small banana (depending on ripeness/sweetness)
dash of vanilla

Combine all ingredients in a blender of food processor. Push on. Eat.*
*Be careful when licking around the blade.

——————–
By now you know that I have a slight yogurt obsession. In fact, the amount of yogurt I have in my fridge at any one time can be quite shocking to the uninformed members of society who don’t realize that the food group known by most as “dairy,” for me, just means yogurt. Unlike some people I know, I never seem to tire of the stuff…but variety is the spice of life (and the key to nutritional well-being), so I have had to seek other ways of getting my fill of creamy custard-like concoctions—and sadly, one cannot survive on instant pudding alone. Enter….tofu!Soft (or silken) tofu, to be exact, which not only is cheaper than the fancy schmancy yogurts I only buy if they are on clearance, and has less sugar…and is vegan if you need it…What I discovered–during my Banilla Yogurt fixation–is that also makes an INCREDIBLE Vegan Banana Pudding. [Which I DO suggest eating out of a margarita glass.]Get two superripe (but still yellow…not like banana bread, freezer-ready ripe) bananas……and pop them in a food processor (or blender) with a dash of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg (plus cloves if you wish)…
…and let the food processor work its magic.
And yes, I often do believe it is magic.
What you have a is a creamy, flavorful vegan stand-in for banana pudding.
It’s also much healthier and less processed (despite using the food processor*) than instant banana pudding.
*Seriously, why do you let me say these things?
I didn’t have any of the customary vanilla wafers (although I prefer when it’s made with shortbread cookies), but you don’t need them really. Gingersnaps or Ginger-beanies DO make a nice substitute.But all you really need are a few extra slices of banana, an extra dash of cinnamon (just for effect, really), and you’re good to go!
I’m not sure WHERE you’re good to go…perhaps Vanana Heaven? I bet she’s there:
[Source]
———————
Vegan Banana Pudding
(Makes 3-4 small servings, 2 large servings)

2 ripe medium-sized bananas
1 container soft (silken) tofu
1 tsp. vanilla
dash of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves [to taste]

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Blend.——————
Unlike the Vegan Mango Lassi, the Vegan Banana Pudding will turn brown in the fridge if left there overnight, due (I think) to oxidation. Similar to guacamole, it will still taste good, it just might need a little stirring to return to a more easy-to-swallow pigment.————-

PS. I’m sorry for such a predominantly colorless and ugly post. Seriously, I’m only going to make things with bright colors from now on.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 24, 2011 at 8:41 am

Banana pudding is one of my favorites! I do a chia banana pudding, but love the idea of using tofu! I really need to start experimenting with the silken.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean June 24, 2011 at 8:59 am

so pretty! but i just can't get on board with tofu

Maria June 24, 2011 at 10:11 am

You have exactly 15 days to get yourself out here to finish up the 8 containers of Chobani in my fridge. I checked the expiration dates. [Can't find dry ice...]

Missy June 24, 2011 at 11:05 am

Banilla is a MUCH better name than vanana.
Which immediately conjured up the word Vajajay in my mind. What can I say? I watch more Oprah than Wheel of fortune, I guess.
Still eager to try out both these silken tofu recipes. I haven't touched the stuff since college.

Kristina @ spabettie June 24, 2011 at 11:50 am

I admit my eyes almost glazed over and the voice in my head was doing that "ayaayy ayaayy" sound at the mention of trigonometry, but I thankfully got past it to talk of VANNA! my favorite. I tried out for the show last year, didn't get picked (lottery system) to even get onstage. I'm trying again this September, they'll be in Portland. I just KNOW my witty self would be picked if I had a chance to get in front of them…

I LOVE that you fixate on things for a long time, then make them yourself. I did this with Trader Joe's peanut butter cream cheese… the first time I saw it I was actually just going to buy it, but it was (gasp!) expired. I saw it again… and again… then picked up some tofutti and made it myself. YUM.

I'll let the lack of color slide THIS time, because Vanna's dress more than makes up for it. ;)

Meri June 24, 2011 at 12:10 pm

This is either food math or food chemistry… or perhaps both. Genius!

Carlyn June 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Mori-Nu brand makes this really good pre packaged pudding mix (i've seen vanilla and chocolate)where all you have to do is add the mix with one block of silken tofu in a food processor. For the vanilla mix you can add a banana and it instantly becomes banana pudding! The mix is simply stuff like vanilla, a little raw cane juice, oat flour, guar gum, etc

I made a banana coconut creme pie (by adding a little coconut extract) and it was SOO good! It sets up just like any other pie :D

here's the post: http://notthenormalteenagefare.blogspot.com/2011/01/dessert-first.html

Sara June 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I just got a food processor yesterday! AHHHH! I'm so exited to make some of these delicious concoctions you come up with!

And, just a thought, I wonder if a splash of lemon juice would keep it from getting brown, without effecting the taste too much?

Mary June 24, 2011 at 2:36 pm

"Be careful when licking around the blade" thanks for the heads up! ;)

I've been on a serious pudding kick..but honestly go with the fake stuff since it's so much cheaper. I'd definitely love to try the tofu kind, though! Maybe next time I'm back home and my mom's the one buying the groceries. ;)

Maris(In Good Taste) June 24, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I love how you make your own banana yogurt. And you are not being cheap just thrifty!

Eden June 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Before I even saw the vanna white reference, I right away thought of Vanna White when I saw the label, "vanana". And I think it says a lot about our generation that Kung Fu Panda is the Tofu spokes person.
And never apologize for a post being colorless! If I wanted color, I'd go to gay parade.

teabagginit June 25, 2011 at 9:50 pm

you know what else i bet would be good? oranges! it'd be like an orange-sicle!