Twistin’ the Ol’ Fruit Tray

by Sarah on May 29, 2011 · 16 comments

Today’s song is to the tune of Sam Cooke’s “Twistin’ the Night Away,” a song that immediately takes me back to childhood, listening to my mom’s oldies CDs and dancing in the kitchen. [I'm pretty sure I did this only when I was home alone...and I bet Mama Smart is happy to know that when she left me on my own, I did such culturally educational activities as listen to oldies music and practice my 60s-era dance moves.]Also, Sam Cooke was a cutie pie, and we like cutie pies (both edible and otherwise) here in The Smart Kitchen. :)

—————–
Let me tell you ’bout a way
Using some unexpected tastes
Surprise your friends on a summer’s day
Put a twist on the ol’ fruit trayHere we have two mangoes, yum!
Blueberries ripened in the sun
Lime juice is here for the fun
But we’re twistin’ in a spicy way!
The secret’s in the ginger here
(Feel free to pair with ginger beer)Crystallized, then chopped, don’t fear
We’re twistin’ the ol’ fruit trayTwistin’, twistin’
The ginger will steal the show
Twistin’, twistin’
Trust me you will lick the bowl! :) [Requisite Dance Break]
Let’s twist awhile!
Feet up! Feet back!
Watusi!
Now slide…
We’re twistin’ the ol’ fruit tray![Source]
Here you have some watermelon
Nothin’ strange about that, son
Everybody’s eating one,
Now that summer is here to stayBut have you thought about a way
To take it to another place?“Strange” is what your friends might say
But then they won’t stay away…
Yes, what you see is true:
Melon covered in cheese that’s bleuAnd yep, there’s rosemary, too!We’re twistin’ the ol’ fruit tray!
————————
Ginger-Lime Blueberry Mango Fruit Salad

2 ripe mangoes, diced
1 pint fresh blueberries
1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized mango
1 teaspoon lime zest (optional)
2-3 tablespoons lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir well. [Flavor intensifies after a few hours in the fridge.] Serve on its own, as a salsa (with cinnamon-sugar chips), or with grilled chicken, shrimp, or fish.

———————–
Rosemary + Bleu Cheese Watermelon Salad

Combine watermelon, crumbled bleu cheese, and chopped fresh rosemary in a bowl. Mix well. The bleu cheese will create a sort of creamy ‘dressing’ for the watermelon. (Tastes great immediately, or after a few hours chilled.)

divinelyvegan May 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Your watermelon is making me drool!

Maris(In Good Taste) May 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm

What a great post and gorgeous fruit salads!

Maria May 29, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I literally just finished chopping up a huge watermelon and of course thought about you. "I carried a watermelon". Which I did of course, yesterday. Up three flights of stairs. Gotta get in a workout somehow.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 29, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Ohhhh… I'm going to try your version of watermelon salad next. I love playing with fruit/cheese combos.

Have you ever had a Moscow Mule (drink)? I was looking at your mango thinking what an awesome pairing that would make. :)

Cathy May 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I totally was singing along!
You mean chopped crystallized ginger (not mango), right?
Happy long weekend!

Susan May 29, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Oh mannn I tell everyone how cute I think Sam Cooke is too!

I've never tried crystallized ginger, but now I want to.

And kind of in line with the cheese thing, but I always salt my melon!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss May 29, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Those sound sooo good! Last time I was home, my mom bought a watermelon and I'm pretty sure I ate the entire thing by myself in two days. I always forget how delicious it is!

Missy May 29, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Loving what you did with that watermelon (and of course the clever post). I am at a point where I cannot pass up sprinkling salt on watermelon — so good. (Cayenne on mango, too) My favorite is watermelon, fresh basil, slat pepper, balsamic maybe and feta or gorgonzola, or mozzarella and red onion.
Delish. I am messing around with a salsa version I am planning on writing about on my blog.
Who knew tomatoes and watermelon an jive…or shall I say "twist."

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert May 29, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I now have that song stuck in my head! Next time I make a fruit salad I'll be singing that song. Very nice and so creative. The watermelon cheese and rosemary is so interesting! I still have not found a good watermelon here in Virginia – but I'll keep trying. Have a great Memorial Day!

Eden May 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Great, now I too will have that song stuck in my head whenever I prep a fruit salad! Ginger beer would be paired nicely with nearly everything. I hear it even cures stomach pains…

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 29, 2011 at 9:39 pm

all sorts of interesting combos going on here. Love it!!

iheartvegetables May 29, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Wow that's creative and it sounds delicious!!! I love the idea of the ginger! Fruit salad is one of my favorite things about summer :)

Meri May 29, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Looks really good! What a fun post, Sarah! I think it's time for a dance break of my own :)

Mary May 30, 2011 at 9:07 am

I love both these salads. This is my first visit to your blog and I've spent some time browsing through your earlier posts to catch up. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 May 30, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Love both of these! Cool fruit combinations make me so happy, and I think any excuse to use crystalized ginger is wonderful.

atastelife May 31, 2011 at 12:52 pm

You did it. Blubes!

And Big Guy would LOVE that watermelon salad…