The Final Countdown

by Sarah on May 24, 2011 · 23 comments

If you follow me on twitter, you know that yesterday was the beginning of the end…when it comes to the school year, that is. [I'm not talking about the whole "Rapture" craziness that I didn't even know was 'supposed' to happen until it was almost here--and over. Clearly I need to spend less time watching old episodes of Ally McBeal and more time watching the news.] Only four more days with the kids…and two without.

Yes, my little chickadees, we have entered…THE FINAL COUNTDOWN. And if hearing that doesn’t automatically put you in mind of one G.O.B Bluth and his show of “Illusions,” well, you’re going to want to click here
[Source]
…and then watch at least the first season of Arrested Development. If you don’t have time for that right now–and unless you are like me and (soon to be) fun-employed, you probably don’t…well, add it to your Instant Queue on Netflix and then try to follow the remaining ‘logic’* in this post…or just skip to the end. Where I show you how to make deep-fried bananas!!!!
*logic is a term I use loosely…it’s really just the associative connections in my brain you have to try to untangleOK, just kidding. The world didn’t end, remember? I haven’t jumped into the deep end of crazy–yet—and there has been no deep-frying in The Smart Kitchen, but you’ll want to eat those little babies anyway. I promise.

So…back to the beginning….so we can get to the end. Thinking about THE FINAL COUNTDOWN of course made me think about Arrested Development. And you can’t think about Arrested Development without wanting to run up the person closest to you and reminding them that “there’s always money in the banana stand.”*
*Season One: Episode Two: Top Banana…still my favorite.

[Source]
Of course, then I wanted a frozen banana. But I’ve already made those once, and I’m a sucker for novelty. Then I remembered yet another Arrested Development food association…the Cornballer!
“Hey, the Cornballer. I thought those were only legal in Mexico.”
“In fact, the Cornballer [isn't] legal anywhere…but George, Sr. continue[s] to market it in Mexico, anyways.”
[Source]
The Cornballer makes deep-fried balls of corn dough. Which, if you are from the South, can only make you think of one thing: hush puppies.*
*Not the shoes. Which I always confuse with Buster Browns. Of course since we’re talking about Arrested Development…perhaps I should say Buster Bluths?

And then I thought, as I often do…how can I combine these two ideas into one? Thus making the ultimate, banana-and-cornbread, final countdown treat? The result, as usual, was even better than I thought it could be…and I call them: Hush Monkeys!They say that hush puppies got their name from hunters and fisherman who’d use fried dough to keep the “puppies” quiet during dinner…and later were used by runaway slaves to keep guard dogs at bay. So if hush puppies are what you use to keep puppies quiet…well Hush Monkeys are what you use to keep loud monkeys quiet.

You’ll need to cook up 1/2 cup corn grits or polenta (1/2 cup dry with 1 cup boiling water to make 1 cup cooked grits), and allow that to cool. Then combine in a bowl with one medium, ripe banana.
Add in 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup, and about 2 teaspoons peanut butter.
Mix that all up really well until you have a nice batter.

Put the batter into mini-muffin cups (make sure you’ve sprayed or otherwise greased them).
Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or so.
I would check every 5 minutes, but they do take a lot longer than you’d think for mini-muffins since there is so much liquid/moisture in them.
They aren’t little balls like most hush puppies…
…but they DO so look like fried bananas.And they are SO soft and gooey inside.Even if they ARE different..…they’ll keep the little monkeys happy so you can get some work done. *
*That was my attempt to somehow tie this all back to the last week of school. Did it work? I think…A for effort, but an F in effectiveness.

—————————–
Hush Monkeys
(Makes 16 mini-muffins)

1 cup cooked, cooled corn grits [1/2 cup dry cooked in 1 cup boiling water]
1 medium banana
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
2 heaping teaspoons peanut butter

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until a thick batter is formed. Pour batter into greased mini-muffin cups and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, or until set.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) May 24, 2011 at 6:16 am

I flippin' LOVE Arrested Development! I can't believe it was ever cancelled and I wish they would stop teasing everyone about a potential movie.. it's just mean.

Those Hush monkeys look pretty fun, or should I just sample one and declare "STEVE HOLT!"

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 24, 2011 at 7:30 am

Confession: Despite the urging of several friends, I have never seen Arrested Development.

Your "Hush Monkeys" look great! I am from the south; therefore, I'm a big fan of anything fried. (Have you ever had a fried Twinkie? OMG.) In the interest of preventing heart disease, I'm also a fan of anything pseudo-fried.

lovesweatandbeers May 24, 2011 at 8:27 am

Ha! Hush Monkeys. Love it.

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 May 24, 2011 at 8:42 am

LOVE Arrested Development – "Has anyone in this family ever SEEN a chicken?" and these hush monkeys look pretty tasty. I love the name.

Meg May 24, 2011 at 9:41 am

Hahaha! Hush monkeys! I love it!

brocstar May 24, 2011 at 10:09 am

Corn + Banana? Interesting. And I like the name!

Anonymous May 24, 2011 at 10:13 am

Those Hush Monkeys are both hysterical and genius at the same time! I am southern born and love my grits – although sweet grits, even as a base, sort of weirds me out (like savory oatmeal does too) but I don't knock anything til I've tried it. Those would also be good with butternut squash (sweet or savory) mixed in. So experiment with other mix-ins and keep postin em! :)
Missy

Maria May 24, 2011 at 11:04 am

Ummm…no words. I want one of those right now. For breakfast.

Catherine May 24, 2011 at 11:42 am

lol Arrested Development just happens to be up next in our netflix queue!
Also, these look yum. I may put some of my bananas to better use with this recipe.

atastelife May 24, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Seriously? How do you think of these things? Don't stop. I love it.

Travelbug May 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Funemployed? You make me laugh SO hard!
Sorry the countdown is on but as long as you have those hush monkeys around things will only get better :o )

Meri May 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I think, once again, you've written the perfect post: Several arrested development tie-ins, a pun or two, MONKEY pictures, and a super delicious looking recipe with things already in my cupboard! I love you! (well, not in a creepy stalker way, but in a blogger appreciation way…)

Sara May 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Never seen Arrested Development so I was lost but, those look tasty! Haha. Would they go good on ice cream? They look like they would…

And yet again, helping me with my pregnancy cravings, I really want some hush puppies now. But I don't know where to get them and don't want to make them myself, dang.

Megan May 24, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Love love love arrested development! And I also love the title of the recipe haha

Kristina @ spabettie May 24, 2011 at 3:34 pm

HUSH MONKEYS!! I love this!! :D

and I love Arrested Development – when I found out Jason had never seen it I made him watch… we had fun with weekend marathons.

my other favorite thing? monkeys! I am declaring you My Favorite Blogger today! <3

Rachel May 24, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Yay for being almost done at school!

And DOUBLE YAY for the AD jokes :)

Jenny May 24, 2011 at 4:37 pm

My bf got me into watching arrested development and I loved it. So funny! Lol your hush puppies do look like fried bananas!! They look delicious

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 24, 2011 at 7:31 pm

arrested development is quite possibly the best.show.ever!!!

Ellie May 24, 2011 at 9:03 pm

love the name and the recipe! very creative, thanks!

marie May 24, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Best show ever. I love anything with cornmeal and since I love bananas this looks great.

Maris(In Good Taste) May 25, 2011 at 3:49 am

Very cute post!

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles May 27, 2011 at 3:15 pm

OMG Arrested Development is the best show EVER. I worked for FOX back in the day, and was in the promotions department busting my bootay to keep it on the air. I think I may have cried more than once, at work, when it was pulled. Sad, sad, sadness.
But I love that you've brought it up so fittingly with your recipe :)

Lele May 28, 2011 at 7:14 am

My entire life has resembled Arrested Development lately. I respond by going CMON.
My favorite ever is Tobias as Mrs. Featherbottom.
Also, I need to make these IMMEDIATELY but have no muffin tin. So perhaps in my incarnation they will be biscuits. Southern still, yeah?