The End of the World as We (Nut) It

by Sarah on May 28, 2011 · 11 comments

Look into my pantry, and what do you see?Certainly NOT the excessive amounts of nut butter we saw less than two months ago.Maybe the world really did end on Saturday after all, because Miss Smart has lost her appetite––her appetite for nut butter that is. [Shock! Awe! Astonishment! Outrage (?)]How could this happen? What is to be done about it? When I made the Hush Monkeys, I didn’t even lick the spoon with which I scooped the peanut butter….nor the chopstick I used to stir it first. [A low gasp sweeps collectively through the crowd.]

Sticky, nutty, thick, and buttery….oh my stomach feels queasy.
WHO AM I AND WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MISS SMART?
[Even Julie's dog was hanging her head in shame and confusion
when we met for frozen yogurt.]
Speaking of frozen yogurt, the only thing peanut buttery I’ve wanted to eat came from a self-serve machine.
[Curses on you, The Yogurt Spot, you stole my trademark name! But gosh darn it if it wasn't the best peanut butter flavored frozen yogurt I've ever had...]Not even the discovery of this oh-my-goodness-I-just-want-to-TRY-it-already treat at Central Market (the only place I’ve EVER seen it sold) could sway me from my anti-nut-butter* leanings.
*Granted, it doesn’t actually have nuts in it. But it has the same texture I imagine. The same weight and heaviness that even now is causing my stomach to rumble (and not in a Winne-the-Pooh “I need some honey” kind of way).Judging by the amount of yogurt I stocked up on this week…my love of yogurt (frozen or otherwise) is the one thing we can still count on.

It’s the end of the world as we (nut) it.
And I feel…fine?

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 28, 2011 at 9:45 am

Oh, this just came up when I clicked back on your home page. :)

I have certain food cycles I go through. Then I have a very strong appetite or something particular, and after a while it ceases and I want something else instead. Currently, I'm not so much in the nut butter phase (which has never been peanut butter, but always almond butter for me), but I know I'll get back there, because the cycle always repeats itself some time.

Definitely not the end of the world. :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 28, 2011 at 10:04 am

dude, i just found those big containers of fage at costco for so cheap and i am PUMPED about it!

Maria May 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

Totally understand. I OD on nut butter last year and it took 6 months for me to get my appetite back for it. It didn't come back with a full vengeance either, as I still only just eat peanut butter on occasion.

Mary May 28, 2011 at 11:59 am

I have about 14 jars of nut butter stacked in my cupboard. They're not all open..but it's still crazy! I need to get my hands on some of the Biscoff spread, though!!

Baking Serendipity May 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I go back and forth with nut butters, but my obsessed phase always makes it way back around :)

brocstar May 28, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I just don't understand.

(Although.. after consuming almost an entire jar of WCW is 3 days, it really is unappealing to me now. But bring on the plain pb!)

Maris (In Good Taste) May 28, 2011 at 3:23 pm

You are so funny! I do the same thing tho! OD on something and then I am done with it at least for a while!

iheartvegetables May 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Oh my gosh!!! That's crazy!!! I'm a nut butter addict! I can't imagine NOT wanting to eat nut butter all the time! What happened??

divinelyvegan May 28, 2011 at 9:30 pm

After not eating nut butters for so long, I crave them constantly now :D

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I don't think I could EVER get sick of PB… even as a child I'd eat it by the spoonful.

Greek yogurt is another one I think I'm addicted to for life. I'm going to get a tattoo on my leg: Powered by Greek yogurt.

JK. Maybe. :)

mindrunningwild May 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm

loving the title!! So cute.
and that's so funny that you're not loving on PB right now because I only just found out that I could eat it so I HAVE been loving it!! I've now got 5 different kinds of nut butter in my fridge.
I have to agree with you about the Fage 2% though. cream of perfection.