No Go On The Fro Yo

by Sarah on May 6, 2011 · 11 comments

This one time, I took leftover pumpkin puree… ….and some plain yogurt… …and I mixed them together.

And as I was stirring, I thought to myself…
“Self, I love pumpkin. I love yogurt. What if I could make pumpkin frozen yogurt?”
So I added some pumpkin pie spice…
…and then I put it in the freezer.
And it was an epic fail.

I blame the yogurt. [Clearly I would never blame myself.]

Perhaps I should have used yogurt with a higher fat content?

Next time.

And there will be a next time.

[And before you tell me to buy an ice cream maker...I will succeed without one!*]
*or at least keep trying until someone feels sorry for me and mails me one ;)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free May 6, 2011 at 7:00 am

oh no! I want an ice cream maker sooooo badly. There are ways you can make ice cream without one, but…….I guess i'm kinda lazy…..

kate May 6, 2011 at 7:11 am

you can make frozen treats without an ice cream maker quasi successfuly. after about an hour of freezer you need to stir the froyo very well to evenly distribute the ice crystals. it usually takes about 5-6 hours to reach the desired consistancy. and fat content and added white sugar help the mixture not form a solid block :)

Tricia B May 6, 2011 at 7:48 am

I think my recipe book says to strain the yogurt through cheese cloth first. Not sure why but I'm completely confident you will master this in no time! Have a wonderful weekend!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) May 6, 2011 at 7:51 am

I'm glad we both acknowledge ourselves as 'self'- makes me feel more normal.
And I'd totally think that yogurt + freezer would = frozen yogurt… who knew!?

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 May 6, 2011 at 9:37 am

How sad. As I was reading, I kept thinking, "What a great idea! It sounds delicious." So sad that it was a failure. Maybe it needs more sugar?

Eden May 6, 2011 at 9:53 am

have you tried the "ice cream in a bag" trick? http://www.ehow.com/how_4879437_ice-cream-bag-minutes.html

Maria May 6, 2011 at 10:05 am

I have faith in you. Nothing stands in the way of you and your pumpkin froyo.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 6, 2011 at 10:51 am

bummer about the fail. guess you'll just have to go out and get some, loaded with toppings of course, to make up for it! wish i was there to eat it with you!

Travelbug May 6, 2011 at 11:44 am

I made the same epic fair with pumpkin frozen yogurt, when you figure it out let me know, i'll be the one browsing icecream makers online :)

tehstotehara May 6, 2011 at 3:39 pm

You can do it!!

Also, I need a food truck suggestion. I will be in Austin on Friday and I left just before the food truck explosion. I don't know which one to go to!

sophia May 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm

It does look a little runny…but I'm not a fan of canned pumpkin in general. Hm, maybe add vanilla extract too?