What (I Wish) I Ate Wednesday

by Sarah on April 20, 2011 · 19 comments

OK, fine. I’m jumping on the blogger bandwagon. But if I’m going to do it, I’m going to do it Sinatra style. You know—my way. [Because, as we all know by now, "It's my blog, I do what I want."*]
*Thank you, Bridget.

So, in that vein, I present to you…What (I Wish) I Ate Wednesday.

Y’all know I love cereal. But did you know that many of my favorites are supposed “kiddie” cereals? Well, the new obsession is this deliciousness known as Cascadian Farm Clifford Crunch and there is no doubt I wish I ate it this morning.I don’t know why I love it so much. After all, there are no Clifford-shaped pieces to be found. And it clearly follows the rule of “not shown in actual size” on the box.But it fits quite perfectly in my goldfish container. [A double dose of kiddie cool right there, don'tcha know?]And it tastes absolutely beyond amazing when mixed in Total 2% Fage yogurt. Seriously, I don’t get it. Maybe because the Clifford Crunch has the perfect blend of sweetness and crunch, and mixed with the creamy tartness of the yogurt it creates a “my mouth is happy” taste that starts my morning off just right.But it’s probably just because it sticks so well to the yogurt and my spoon and is really fun to eat.Either way, they are a match made in cereal-and-yogurt heaven.So why do only I wish I ate this (now looking longingly at photos of the reenactment of what happens–not in The Smart Kitchen–but at my desk every morning)? Well, I bought the box of cereal on sale, and now they’ve jacked the price back up to $6.00! $6.00! I can’t rationalize that…especially when I already have twelve boxes of cereal to be opened in our storage closet. (#iwillbepreparedfornuclearmeltdown)

I did eat yogurt, but I wish I ate my favorite kind–mixed with a little peanut flour?Sadly, I don’t think they make this anymore. Meaning, I will be wishing on a Straus-family star that they start producing it again and Maple Nonfat Yogurt makes a glorious return to Sprouts.
Luckily I was able to find this new ‘generic’ brand of Greek yogurt being produced by Safeway/Randall’s.
It’s VERY tasty (and comes in 1%)…and I have found it on clearance multiple times over the past few weeks. :)
I wish I ate some of this incredible Mrs. Renfro’s Peach Salsa.Too bad I ate the whole jar in approximately 36 hours.I wish I ate (OK, drank) some of my beloved fizzy water.But, alas (or hooray!–depending on your perspective), I have gone two whole weeks without a drop of carbonated beverage. No fizzy water, no soda. Just water, coffee, and a little wine here and there. Sorry to break it to y’all, but I don’t feel any different. [AND I didn't ever have any problems with allergies until I stopped drinking "fizzies" (curiouser and curiouser...)]

I really wish I ate some spaghetti squash.…with or without Bavarian-style slightly sweet sauerkraut.But alas, I have given them up for the summer. Instead, I ventured into new tofu territory.Would tofu spaghetti give me the texture I miss? I should have been skeptical when I saw the words “parboil or heat in microwave to eliminate the natural aroma,” but I persevered.I mixed the “noodles” with hummus and served it on salad doused quite liberally with nutritional yeast. Which I ate from a pie plate. [Yes, I am that awesome.]
Not a good substitute for spaghetti squash, although I guess it is a good substitute for spaghetti. On the nutritional front, however, it doesn’t offer much of anything. No protein* like you get from “real” tofu. On the plus side, it does have calcium. On the negative? For the amount I got in one package it’s still more cost-efficient to by an off-season spaghetti squash.

And don’t worry, I remedied my lack of protein-aside-from-nutritional-yeast with some Banana Graham-a Peanut Butter.
Which I always wish I ate (and usually do).

Last, but definitely not least, I wish I ate the rest of this Safeway Select Caramel Caribou ice cream. (Toffee ice cream with caramel swirl and caramel cups? Yes, please!)And I wish I ate the entire remaining portion in the carton with a very tiny baby spoon.

Luckily, some wishes really do come true!

————————

Thanks to Miss Peas + Crayons for letting me join the WIAW “Party”….in my own special way. :)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 20, 2011 at 6:55 am

I wish I get to eat some peanut butter today….but I can't til Sunday! Ugh…..

But I am glad you have been able to put down the soda for a couple weeks!! I love drinking plain seltzer water with the lemon or orange flavors…tastes kinda like pop to me :)

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert April 20, 2011 at 6:58 am

$6 for a box of cereal – wow. I am shocked! It must be really, really good. I love Fage yogurt, just finished some for breakfast with 1/2 frozen banana, almond milk and cinnamon! I forgot the honey :( So today I wish I had put honey in my breakfast smoothie. Have a happy day in class!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) April 20, 2011 at 7:22 am

You can't just hop on a bandwagon, can you? You have to go and beat us all with your creativity… sigh… fine.
And $6 for cereal is outrageous!

Sarah Kelly April 20, 2011 at 7:46 am

That ice cream looks delicious. I wish I ate that, too! Visiting from WIAW :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 20, 2011 at 8:17 am

haha i LOVE eating with those tiny little baby spoons. makes everything taste better and last longer!

Jennifer April 20, 2011 at 9:49 am

I think I love you! Ok I totally do! This post was so entertaining to read girl! =) I loved your spin on WIAW — you seriously rock!

Happy WIAW! <3

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

molly April 20, 2011 at 10:17 am

i had NO idea cascadian farms cereal was SO ridiculously expensive. all of the races i've run this season have been giving them out in the swag bags (slash, setting them out for you to pick up yourself so somehow we've ended up with like 20 mini boxes of this stuff- now that i know how expensive it is, i'm feeling even better about the fact that we "ended up" with so many boxes). the cinnamon sugar one tastes like cinnamon toast crunch (mixed it with oats to un-healthify the oats) and then we also have a bunch of the dark chocolate cherry almond variety that i have yet to try.

also, i gave up diet coke too. not sure how long- i guess the forseeable future? definitely til the marathon. i'm so cranky, i just want to pound some diet coke. ugh. i love that hansen's stuff too. the pomegranate and tangerine ones are awesome. maybe i should switch to fizzy water. is that like "more hydrating" than diet soda? is it hydrating like water? i need some sweet fizzies!

ok, sorry so long- haha.

Meri April 20, 2011 at 11:26 am

What a fun way you joined the party! I love it, its so creative!
I like shirataki noodles with nooch and mustard on them. I snack on that a lot! I'm nowhere near giving the fizzies up, and you know? I don't care haha!

sarah April 20, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I have been on a huge ice cream binge this whole week. I. need. that. ice. cream.!!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss April 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I remember trying peach salsa at this craft show one time and it was ammmazing! I haven't tried the commercial kind, but this makes me want to go buy some!

Missy April 20, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Oh boy…this is not a shameless plug, but get your hands on some of these guys if you can (I'm sure you can in Austin)these are a good pasta sub.

kissmybroccoli April 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Hey there! Just found you from your link up to WIAW! I LOVE your take on this and you are absolutely hilarious!

And I just checked out that PB post…holy mother of yum! I have GOT to try that! Oh, and best thing from that post: "And apparently a claw-footed animal got into the goodness before I could?" <- I seriously about peed my pants!

Have a great night!

mrlew1 April 21, 2011 at 3:41 am

I love that the goldfish is showing wear and tear. For some reason that makes my heart smile.

Lindsay and James Cotter April 21, 2011 at 7:10 am

haha, I love this. I saw those yogurt on sale at Randalls. But you are right, straus and pb flour is hard to beat!

Lindsay and James Cotter April 21, 2011 at 7:10 am

Lindsay and James Cotter April 21, 2011 at 7:10 am

Lindsay and James Cotter April 21, 2011 at 7:10 am

Travelbug April 21, 2011 at 11:20 am

Peach Salsa? Yes please!!!
Hillarious post AS ALWAYS :)

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles April 23, 2011 at 12:51 am

That new Open Nature Greek yogurt is my favorite!