Straight Up Salsa

by Sarah on April 26, 2011 · 14 comments

Most people consider chips and salsa to be the perfect pair.I have to disagree.

Although I will certainly eat salsa when it is served upon a–preferably broken, chiplet bit of salty bottom-of-the-bag (or basket) goodness—tortilla chip……I really just like to eat salsa with a spoon.This is yet another thing I credit to strange eating habits inherited from Mama Smart, who has told me that, after she gained a lot of weight eating Mexican food while pregnant with me, when her Mexican cravings struck while pregnant Sister Smart she just reached for a spoon and the jar…and dove right in.If you think I’m kidding, talk to my co-workers, who, after witnessing me pouring out salsa into a bowl during a recent ‘Hot Sauce Humpday’ morale booster and proceeding to shovel it into my mouth by the spoonful, asked if I was just going to go ahead and skip the spoon altogether and pour it into a cup and drink it next.*
*I did briefly contemplate this. I figured the staff lounge was not the time, nor the place, for this to happen. Did I later drink the last of the salsa from this jar, just to make sure I got every last bite? No comment.

By now we all know that salsa makes a fabulous salad dressing…
…or if you’re out of lettuce, you can always just make a veggie-ricotta bowl, topped with the spicy (or sweet, depending on your style) stuff. [Salsa + ricotta + hummus = amazing!] Maria even posted about salsa as a salad dressing recently, sparking a discussion of other ‘alternative’ dressings, which I will clearly have to get into another time….and truth be told, I don’t even need the whole salad to indulge my salsa cravings.

When a spoon won’t do…there’s always carrots.Wait…how? What? Huh?

No, the salsa doesn’t slip off. And for extra protection you can bite it into a spoon-like object and scoop it up. (See above and below.)No, that’s not a Bloody Mary you see below.
Celery works quite nicely as a dipper as well. As does sliced cucumber (although zucchini is better).Just be careful to hold on tight….…or else you might have to call in the veggie guards* to rescue ‘em.
*Like lifeguards. But for vegetables. Swimming in a sea of salsa.

I’m a strange bird, it’s true. But you can keep your chips….[although save me the chiplets!]…like Paula Abdul, I’ll take my salsa straight up.
——————–
So, straight up, now tell me…
What’s the best thing you eat straight from the jar?
I also like to do this with sliced pickles. Don’t worry. I’m not pregnant.

What’s your favorite salsa?

Due to my current salsa fixation situation, I’m looking for recommendations.
(I did finish that jar in the photos in less than two days.)

Do you think I’m seriously strange?

It’s cool. You can be honest.

Susan April 26, 2011 at 6:38 am

Last week I caught myself squirting a bit of ketchup straight into my mouth…shhh don't tell!

I had a serious obsession with veggies and salsa last summer. I really like your bite-out-of-the-carrot technique. Totally stealing that.

Travelbug April 26, 2011 at 6:40 am

While i have never tried salsa straight up (many thanks for putting that song in my head at 7am!) i love using it as salad dressing mixed with a little greek yoghurt!
I love pouring salsa in a little tiny bowl and dipping perogies in it, makes me feel like i'm healthifying the perogies :)
I have no favourite kind of salsa, i do want to try the peach kind you were drinking though!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 26, 2011 at 6:45 am

Ha! I eat salsa right out of the bowl, too. I call it "Salsa soup." And why not? Isn't it made over tomato paste, onions, peppers, and spices? SOunds like a Mexican gazpacho! And yes, it tastes absolutely amazing with carrots and celery….now I need to try zucchini…

tehstotehara April 26, 2011 at 7:29 am

Ack! You just had to go there!

I'm boycotting this post.

Hahaha.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) April 26, 2011 at 8:14 am

Usually I'm on board with your ideas, but unfortunately chips and salsa are a match made in heaven that can't be duplicated.
I'll eat it with pretzels and veggies, but I can't fool myself into thinking that it's better than chips! ;)

atastelife April 26, 2011 at 8:22 am

In all honesty, I like straight-up PB licks from the jar. Pickles come in for a close second place.
I love salsa. And after making homemade salsa nothing jarred compares. But if it's the premade kind – it's needs to be the fresh stuff. Found in the frige isle. P.S. I love carrots and salsa, too.
I find nothing strange about this post. Salsa is one of the best salad dressings ever. But then again, maybe I'm just strange, too.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day April 26, 2011 at 10:11 am

Since I can eat a pickle in all of two bites, I always curl up with a jar of them on the couch. I find that when I don't have tortilla chips, I like to take bits of flat tortillas, roll them and stick them into the salsa jar. Who needs to go through the whole mess of baking them?

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 April 26, 2011 at 10:20 am

I thought I was the only one who ate salsa with carrots. I never thought to bite out a little scoop, though. Awesome.

Tricia B April 26, 2011 at 11:33 am

Honestly I like (not love) Pace Picante sauce pretty much. I LOVE homemade pico de gallo. No, I don't think you're strange at all. I think you're a little Smart! I love to eat Nutella straight from the jar. Salsa on saltines is a family favorite at my house. My husband eats salsa on cottage cheese all the time. All the time.

Missy April 26, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Yes you are strange gal…I like that in a strange gal. I have dipped an apple in salsa before (ironially after seeing it on a blog) and meh…spoon is better.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 26, 2011 at 7:28 pm

omg paula abdul was the FIRST thing i thought of when i read this title. i was going to comment about it but clearly we're already on the same wavelength!

sophia April 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Salsa is terrific, but I don't love it as much as you do. It reminds me of my diet days. shudder. Oh, and I used to dip carrot sticks in ketchup. Not as healthy.

But have you tried TJ's mango butter? I can totally eat that by the spoon. And also, spinach artichoke dip from Costco. Mmm…

tea-bag April 26, 2011 at 11:14 pm

that is too funny – i just finished my jar of pace picante at dinner tonight. it totally pour it on my salad, dip broccoli into it, & eat it straight up w/ a spoon! i love tomato products in general – paste, salsa, marinara sauce. sometimes i'll mix diced tomatoes w/ some mustard & throw it all over my salads. yum. weirdly though, i detest ketchup.

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles April 26, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Hmmmm my favorite salsa is the kind my hubs makes, but if I want something fast and easy I like the refrigerated pico d gallo at the g-store. We generally buy the big tub of organic costco brand salsa though. Mrs. Renfros is pretty tasty though!

My favorite salsa combo is to mix it with cottage cheese and eat it with veggies. I also like to mix it with caesar dressing and top romaine, veggies & chicken or black beans with it.

Favorite thing to eat straight out of the jar: nutella, peanut butter, cashew butter and pickles.

nope, don't think you're weird. :)