"Diet" Butter Brownies

by Sarah on March 28, 2011 · 8 comments

I pulled SUCH a “Diet Coke with my triple bacon cheeseburger”* move this weekend.

*Although I prefer Diet Coke to the real thing. So I would order it even if the calories didn’t matter. But you get the idea.I really wanted to make brownies. (Not that that was a rare occurrence.) So I went to the store and bought some brownie mix. (Again, not unusual. Why bake from scratch when Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker were born to do it for you?)I thought I’d be somewhat ‘healthier’ and use applesauce in ‘em, as advised by the “low fat” recipe on the back.Despite my general aversion to making low-fat desserts, I was pleased with the resulting batter.And because now it was ‘better for me,’ I took that as a sign I could just eat MORE of it.*
*Let’s take a moment and shake our heads in communal “I’ve been there” acknowledgment.Of course, my ‘Diet Coke’ [better, yes, but still not actually good for you] were soon met by their (figurative) triple bacon cheeseburger.Because, yes, I took the low fat brownies and decided that I might as well swirl half a jar of homemade Butter Toffee Peanut Butter in them.I mean, wouldn’t YOU? Look at this stuff. Butter. Toffee. Peanut. Butter. Two butters for the price of one.

Whatever. Totally worth it.Who needs low fat anyway?
Especially when your brownies are made with love.[The Result of Borrowing Eggs, Roommate Kelsey (2011)]

Side note(s): the low-fat recipe was actually really good (the parts I could taste that didn’t get the peanut butter in ‘em)…
…and yes, I did plate the brownies just for photographing and then return them to the pan.

Cleaning a plate seemed a lot easier than cleaning the pan at the moment.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 28, 2011 at 8:43 am

haha i definitely plate things just to photograph! but then i can never get them back in the pan just right!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free March 28, 2011 at 8:50 am

Ha! This is funny……But yeah, who needs low fat when you can eat something high in fat? Now sugar is a different story… :P

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day March 28, 2011 at 10:00 am

I'm always that girl who orders the Diet Coke and the burger! Oh fries, too. Like you, I prefer the taste of Diet Coke (not Coke Zero or the other diet flavors) – just Diet Coke or maybe Diet Ginger Ale.

Brownies were always my birthday cake back in the day :)

kate March 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm

i like how you think lady! might as well save where you can and load up on the stuff you like better :)

Jacqui March 28, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I love using applesauce. I think it keeps things more moist (although I hate that word).

Mary March 28, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Oh geez, perfect! I'm in a serious baking mood right now and this just made it 10X worse. I couldn't settle on what to bake, though..but now I think I know!

Missy March 28, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I think those need some maple bacon crumbled on top.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert March 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

I wrote a lovely comment the other day and did something that caused it to disappear and not post. I came back now that I have time to say that these look great. I used to make an applesauce spice cake (Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix)and used the canned vanilla frosting mixed with cinnamon. It was very moist and a family favorite.
I have to make brownies next week for a fundraiser at work and may swirl in a little PB because it looks wonderful and because I can. Another smart idea from The Smart Kitchen!