I’m Lovin’ It?

by Sarah on January 30, 2011 · 8 comments

So, we are approaching the end of January, and I totally neglected to mention that January was National Oatmeal Month.

How could I let such a crucial and important month in the food blogging world pass buy so unceremoniously?

Well, duh. I don’t care what the entire food blogging world thinks anymore.

But I did used to really love oatmeal. Like REALLY. So much so that—as I have told y’all and commented repeatedly on your blogs–I OD-ed on oats and haven’t eaten them in AT LEAST four months (unless you count those in the Banana Oat Gingerbread).

And then, on Friday, one of my coworkers said that a student had brought her breakfast, and we awwwed simultaneously and said, “how precious!” and swapped stories of when we were classroom teachers and I received things from homemade kimchi and Korean take-out to family-recipe chocolate chip cookies and kid-baked apple muffins. A few hours later, the same coworker had left this on my desk.

“I didn’t really want it. But I knew it was something YOU would like, Sarah.”
[They know my healthy habits---and blog-induced obsession with new products*--so well.]

*they had been the testers for Wendy’s new french fries after all…
I guessed it was time to return to oatmeal. [How could I deny the offer of free-- and healthy (I would have easily been able to say no to fried-ness)--food?]

Alex has already done the research regarding the health factor of the new product, so I’ll let you wander on over to her sugar-free kitchen should you care to see exact caloric count and whatnot.

I’m pretty sure that mine was the “fully-loaded” version of the oatmeal, complete with brown sugar, cranberry-raisin blend, diced apples, and a “spot o’ cream.”*

*what I would like to hear should I ever visit a McDonald’s in London

Since I had already eaten my breakfast by the time this was gifted to me, I brought it home to try on Saturday morning. It said “Do Not Microwave,” but when have I ever let a food company tell me what to do?
[I'm pretty sure they just didn't want me to microwave the plastic lid...which I didn't. I'm stubborn, but not stupid.]The fruit got all plump and warm and gooey……and the oats got all warm and creamy and chewy…
…and I never thought I’d find myself saying this (at least not since I was eight years old and we stopped at McDonald’s on every road trip to get sausage biscuits—the best part of which was always the meat-flavored biscuit…)
…but McDonald’s has done good.

And for only $1.99…I really think I AM lovin’ it.

(And I will continue to hear Justin Timberlake singing that jingle in my head as I eat it.)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day January 30, 2011 at 1:59 am

I commend McDonald's on trying to make our nation healthier after making us all fat. I definitely won't pass this up if I'm on a road trip. At least there are now good options out there in fast food world when you are in a bind (though I tend to carry food in my purse, so binds are few and far in between).

Eden January 30, 2011 at 2:18 am

Dude, McDonalds had me with their two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles onions on a sesame seed bun. But this oatmeal might not make me look like I'm about to give birth to a food baby!

kate January 30, 2011 at 9:18 am

i am fascinated by the fast food oatmeal trend. i worked at a local coffee chain that started an oatmeal line too. you could customize each bowl with a variety of toppings, some healthy some not. my fav order was an oatmeal with a shot of hazelnut syrup, a scoop of snickers pieces, and whipped cream. holy sugar rush for breakfast. ish!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free January 30, 2011 at 10:53 am

I'm actually glad it's good! I had done the research, but not the actual taste-test yet….hehe….Atleast I know I can have a good, warm breakfast next time I'm in a teeny tiny town with the only restaurant being Micky D's…

Thanks for the link, by the way!

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles January 30, 2011 at 1:40 pm

How does it compare to Sbux oats? I'm thinking this would be a good road-trip brekkie…if no Sbux was in sight.

sophia January 30, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I would still choose a McMuffin or McGriddle over those oats, I think. I don't get to eat those much, while I can make better oats at home.

I hear you on the oats rant, though. I totally OD-ed on it too, and now it's my 3rd month not having oats at all.

Michelle @ Housewife in the Raw January 31, 2011 at 7:59 am

I tried them once (also for free) and found them a bit too sweet. My mom raised us on 100% unsweetened cereals and oatmeal, so, to this day, I like my breakfast grains rather cardboardy. So, the McD oatmeal had more flavor than cardboard and I didn't like it much. Thanks Mom. I did eat out the apples and cranberries.

Jess@atasteofconfidence January 31, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I give mcdonalds for trying something healthier! I would eat it in a pinch, but still prefer to make my own.

and i love the pic of your pup!