Pers-cinna-mon

by Sarah on October 15, 2010 · 11 comments

Move over(night) oats. Get out of the way you silly pumpkins. There’s a new obsession in town. I present, the totally unexpected and under-exposed….

Persimmon!

Although I have eaten them before, persimmons have never struck me quite like they did when I sampled one at the Farmers’ Market last Saturday. Perhaps I’d never had one that was actually ripe? Regardless, I was enraptured, and brought a number of them home. [Hachiyas, which you should only eat when SUPERsoft I learned---see below---and Fuyus, which you can eat when they are still firm.]
You might be thinking, “Oh, I bet Sarah did something awesome with those. She’s do darn creative in the kitchen.”

Ha!
Nope. I pretty much just cut right into them…and let all that juicy goodness spill out onto the plate.
Delicious persimmon jelly…
Oh so yummy….seriously. I cannot even tell you. I really never knew how good they were until I just ate this supersoft pulpy jammy-ness. I literally pick up the plate and lick it after eating this.
So I kind of told a half-truth before, because I did at least TRY to get somewhat creative with them. I mean, if one obsession is good, why not involve two? I mean, I love overnight oats, and I have a new found (glory?) love for persimmons….so, well….what to do but make Per-cinna-mon Oats?

Standard ONO base, sans banana….
…with extra cinnamon!
Stir in a glooooop of persimmon jelly.
And add pecans and raisins….because, well, why not?
Sad face, however, because the persimmon flavor was totally lost in the overnight oats, and although there was a slightly sweet hint of deliciousness, I was a wee bit disappointed. A much better morning? The day when I mashed up a persimmon and generously soused it with cinnamon and nutmeg…
…and then ate it with Greek yogurt.

Simple. Sweet. Persimmon Perfection.

Perhaps my next purchase of persimmons I will actually use in a recipe.

Or not. :)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free October 15, 2010 at 7:33 am

I have never tried a persimmon before-never ever. I don't know if I have even seen it in the store! Probably one of those things you just pass without noticing, thinking its a tomato!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 15, 2010 at 9:21 am

I love persimmons! I always just eat them plain or with something like yogurt too :-)

Lindsay and James Cotter October 15, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I've always wondered what to do with persimmons. THANK YOU!! THis is an awesome idea.

Lindsay and James Cotter October 15, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Lindsay and James Cotter October 15, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Lindsay and James Cotter October 15, 2010 at 12:06 pm

atastelife October 15, 2010 at 12:45 pm
Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 15, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Why have I never tried these?

I find that with most of my favorite foods, that I like them the plain old boring way – just by themselves. This does not make for interesting food blogging, but what can you do? :)

Samantha Angela October 15, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I LOVE persimmons. Mmm mmm mmm. They're probably my favourite fruit. I eat them just like that too (I don't "do" anything with them) because I feel like otherwise I would be wasting their deliciousness in a recipe.

Monet October 15, 2010 at 11:20 pm

One of my favorite poems is about a persimmon. Thank you for reminding me to go and look for one at the market this weekend. Thank you also for the kind words on my blog…your thoughts are so appreciated!

katecooks October 16, 2010 at 11:31 pm

oooh i love this fruit! the one at my farmers' market were NOT ripe and you are so right, you can totally taste the difference.